Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Kid, You'll Move Mountains

When I was in 7th grade, my social studies teacher, Mr. Herbstreit gave me a copy of Dr. Suess's Oh, the Places You'll Go! If you haven't read this, do it. Right now.  I adore this book and have made it the "theme" of my therapy room. I really love the line "KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS" as it reminds me of so many of the kids I treat.  Their little minds are so powerful!

While I found a number of pieces of art on Etsy and Pinterest with this line, none of them were exactly what I was looking for for the room.  And so, let the crafting begin! I bought a frame on clearance at Hobby Lobby and decided to try the Americana Chalk Paint for the first time. I also decided to repaint an old chair my grandma had picked up at a garage sale for me a few years ago.

For the frame, Austin cut me a piece of chalkboard to put inside and I used a chalk pen and chalk to draw the picture that I wanted on the board. 

 I also needed some sort of storage for my treatment room. I LOVED the look of so many of the pieces at World Market and Pottery Barn however, they didn't quite fit my pocketbook. After hitting a few thrift stores, Austin and I found this hutch that needed a little TLC but fit right into my budget. 
Other than refastening most of the hinges, the hutch itself was in pretty good shape. Since I didn't care for the green flimsy particle board backing, Austin put together a few pieces of real wood wainscoting. We stained the wood and nailed the new backing on.
I also was on the hunt for a crank table so that the kids could do activities at a table top and I could adjust the height for each of them. You guys, those things are outrageously expensive. Instead of purchasing a $400+ small crank table, we found a metal stool on clearance at World Market. Austin took off the backrest of the stool and fastened a $6.00 precut piece of wood to the seat. We stained it to match the back of the hutch and it has worked great for the kids!
I had so much fun shopping for my new room and setting it up for the kids! I really like how it all turned out and came together.



No comments :

Post a Comment