Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day friends! 
Valentine's Day may be an overly commercialized Hallmark holiday, however, I think any reason to celebrate the people you love is a good reason...so bring on the Valentine's lovin'.

 This year was probably my favorite Valentine's Day to date. Austin and I haven't had a weekend off together in an extremely long time so the day seemed especially sweet. We went to breakfast, spent the morning thrifting, and lounged around with no agenda. It was lovely. We also flipped through some of our old Valentine cards. Austin truly has a gift for sniffing out the least romantic cards and can hardly contain his excitement every year when he gets to watch me open the cards while he laughs hysterically....like last year's "I'm still not sick of you card". There was a time (our first year dating)  however, that we took Valentine's day seriously as we both attempted to reel the other in and ensure many years of nonromantic, hilarious, and beautiful Valentine's days spent together.  I made this Valentine's Day Card video that year...

But that was year one...this is year five and year five calls for cupcakes.
I used a chocolate fudge cupcake to start and dipped strawberries earlier in the day using ghirardelli dark melting chips. But the real MVP of this Valentine's Day dessert is the frosting. Oh my goodness...this frosting. I am really excited about this frosting! I never measure out ingredients when I am making frosting as I usually taste as I go but I do think the measurements below are somewhat close to what I ended up using.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
20 oz cream cheese
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1 cup frozen strawberries
4 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
 powderer sugar to taste (I used ~1 1/2 cups)

I used my Ninja food processor to puree the frozen strawberries with the whipping cream until it was light and fluffy. I mixed the cream cheese, vanilla, and strawberry puree together and slowly mixed in the powdered sugar a quarter cup at a time. I feel like all recipes I have found for homemade frosting call for outrageous amounts of powdered sugar. I prefer to only use as much as I need to slightly sweeten and  stiffen up the frosting to the consistency I want to pipe onto the cupcakes. For this recipe, I would guess I used, at most, a cup and a half and I am so glad I did. This frosting actually tastes like strawberry cheesecake...not too sweet but so, so good and hands down my favorite frosting I have ever made! The frosting also has a mousse like texture which is great since the strawberry on top makes the dessert a little heavy.
I have made a lot of cupcakes this year but really think these might be my favorite and my Valentine seemed to agree!
Let me know if you try these at home!


No comments :

Post a Comment