Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Bless This Nest

You guys! One of my dearest friends is about to have a baby! A real life baby.
I remember the exact minute that I met my friend Megan. She is the type of person that is hard to not notice. Opinionated, quick witted, and far from quiet, my first impression was "this girl is a lot".  Four years later, I realize just how much she really is. A lot of honesty, a lot of laughter, and a lot of genuine consideration of every individual in her life. I could have never guessed that the girl sitting across the aisle from me in grad school would soon turn into one of my dearest and most treasured friends. It is one of life's greatest blessings to be able to watch her during this season of life and I cannot wait to see her in her new role as someone very special's mama.
Megan's mother and aunts threw her an absolutely beautiful baby shower and I was lucky enough to get to help make the cupcakes for the event. The shower theme was "bless this nest" and I was super excited about the possibilities this theme opened up for dessert. I ordered a silicon chocolate mold from CakeSuppliesDepot's Etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1017701722 and the adorable cupcake wrappers from http://www.fancyflours.com/product/Cupcake-Wrapper-Nest/wedding-party-theme. I was actually surprised how easy (and quick) the chocolate birds were to make and will definitely be utilizing chocolate toppers on more of my cupcakes (so much better looking and tasting than fondant!).
Watching Megan at her shower, it really hit me that in a few shorts months her life would be changed forever by the arrival of her son. In those few hours celebrating Baby O, it became very apparent that Megan was meant to be a mother, among all of the other things that she already is and will become. She was beaming. Megan and Gabe have hearts of gold and I cannot help but think about who their son will become with the two of them as parents.  I am eager for him to get here and to watch him grow into exactly who God intended him to become. What an adventure this will be!

For my shower gift for Baby O, Megan asked if I could replicate a nursery sign that has been floating around Etsy. Instead of buying a used pallet, which I usually do, I hand picked boards at Menards that had the different grains and knots that I wanted to be in the sign. Austin screwed the boards together for me and I picked a color from his stain collection (I used the color Dark Walnut by Varathane).  After allowing the stain to dry, I copied the text that I wanted to use onto white computer paper and used carbon paper to transfer the text onto the board. An evening with some white craft paint and we had a new nursery sign for Baby O. 
Here's to your new adventure, Megan and Gabe! We cannot wait to love on your new babe!

No comments :

Post a Comment