Pages

Saturday, December 6, 2014

The start of an obsession


There was a period of time for me between graduating from OT school and finding employment.  I like to refer to this time as the "quarter life crisis" stage of my life. During this time, I was bored, frustrated, and desperately needed a creative outlet. It was also during this time that Austin and I started to travel and seriously consider the question "Where do we want to end up?". We took our honeymoon to Maui, visited Florida with my family, and finally made a road trip to Atlanta to visit my sister.
While in Atlanta, Austin, my sister, and myself made it a point to hit some major dessert stops.  Of course we stopped at The Cheesecake Factory (maybe more than once) and then we made a stop at a place called Cafe Intermezzo.
You guys. This. Place.

I fell in love with the whole feel of this place. Crystal chandeliers, tea-party like tables, and gorgeous displays of cakes. They had an entire menu devoted to hot chocolate. Common. Austin was in heaven.
When we left, I was so excited about what we had just experienced. I just couldn't get over how pretty the cakes were and how fun it was to sit down to a beautiful little table and enjoy something so sweet and simple with the people I loved. 

When we returned home, I dusted off my Kitchenaid and started to bake. One cupcake led to another and now I have a pretty little hobby that I get to share with so many people. I love how unrelated baking a cupcake is to everything else I do on a daily basis and I love how I get that same feeling I got from my experience at Cafe Intermezzo when I share cupcakes that I spent time on with people I care about. 

Here are some pictures of my first couple dozen.
First batch of cupcakes post Cafe Intermezzo.


Chocolate cupcake with cookie dough center and cookie dough frosting.



 Nutella filled chocolate cupcakes with nutella frosting.



 Yellow cake cupcake filled with strawberry jam and a cream cheese graham cracker frosting.



Banana chocolate chip cupcake with cream cheese frosting.



 Angel food cake cupcakes.




 Gender reveal cupcakes- so fun. The centers were filled with blue frosting- it was a boy!




Lemon blueberry bridal shower cupcakes with fondant flowers.




No comments :

Post a Comment