Pages

Friday, February 6, 2015

Celebrating a Special Friend


I have seen an image floating around pinterest that says, "Everyone has a friend during each stage of life. But only lucky ones have the same friend in all stages of life." Taylor is that friend. We met on the sidewalk in front of my parents' home when I was 6 years old where we both made "peanut butter and jelly sandwiches" with mud and leaves. My entire childhood has memories of Taylor in it and even though we could not be any less alike, I shared a very active imagination and desire to create new things with my friend.  Despite entirely different interests and personalities, my childhood best friend became my college roommate and continues to be one of the dearest people in my life. I am constantly blown away by her creativity, her quick wit, and her deep desire to pursue the people and things that she loves. We don't have many opportunities to spend time together anymore, but when we do, it is as if nothing has ever changed. Her birthday was last week and since this girl is so worth celebrating- cupcakes and a homemade gift were in order. 






I had never purchased washi tape before and found these super cute fabric washi patterns at Michaels.  The wooden skewers I found at hobby lobby and had to cut for size as they were a bit too long for the cupcakes I was making. These little flags were so easy to make and were perfect toppers for some very simple chocolate and yellow cake cupcakes. I cut the washi tape into 3" sections and placed the skewers in the center of the sticky side of the tape.  I then folded the tape in half with the skewer in the middle and cut the ends on an angle. Easy peasy.

These cupcakes were so simple, I was able to send a dozen to a coworker planning a last minute baby shower.



Like I said, Taylor is extremely creative and talented. Her blog http://junkininstyle.blogspot.com is filled with furniture renovations and has been so fun to follow. She shares a dream with her mother of renovating a vintage camper, traveling the country and collecting junk to breathe new life into.  For her birthday, I wanted to make her a quilt that somehow tied in this iconic camper that she and her mom, Amy, have been including in their recent projects and posts. A not so quick trip to Joann's with my husband and a night with my sewing machine turned into the perfect birthday gift for my sweet friend.





Happy Birthday Taylor! Here's to 20 more years of friendship! 

2 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for all of your kind words And my AMAZING quilt! Our friendship brings me to tears :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words and my AMAZING quilt! I love you and I love our friendship!

    ReplyDelete